Population Drift: Mean Population Center Analysis
- File Size:
- 6.8 MB
- File Type:
- GIS Level:
- Geographic Scale:
- Target Audience:
- USA and States
Summary: Use spatial analysis and GIS to determine and analyze the population centers of the USA and individual states over space and time.
1) Understand the definition of a mean center and weighted mean center;
2) Understand the definition of a population weighted mean center;
3) Learn how to calculate mean population centers for the USA and for individual states using GIS tools;
4) Understand how and key reasons why the US population center moved from 1800 to the present;
5) Analyze how and key reasons why states’ population centers moved from 1900 to the present.
Created 15 May 2010.
Adjusted 15 May 2010.