Esri provides instructional materials through many venues, including
Esri Training, and
ArcLessons. This content and more are featured below.
Our World GIS Education
Our World GIS Education (OWGE) was developed for students of all levels, grade school through college and to provide teachers with comprehensive and easy-to-use resources for GIS instruction. Creatively inspired by the award-winning Mapping Our World: GIS Lessons for Educators, the quartet of books Our World GIS Education offers flexible GIS resources for all educators.
Other resources from Esri
- A video primer series for ArcGIS Online (http://esriurl.com/mappingwithAGO)
Explore a series of videos about the many aspects of using ArcGIS Online.
- Advancing STEM Education with GIS (http://www.esri.com/library/ebooks/advancing-stem-education-with-gis.pdf)
Learn about how GIS enhances science, technology, engineering, and math.
- Exploring Common Ground: The Educational Promise of GIS (http://www.esri.com/Industries/k-12/education/~/media/Files/Pdfs/industries/k-12/pdfs/xcg.pdf)
The potential benefits of bringing GIS into the pre-college classroom, and the educational characteristics that effective use of GIS relies on.
- Geographic Inquiry: Thinking Geographically [PDF-700 KB (http://www.esri.com/Industries/k-12/education/~/media/Files/Pdfs/industries/k-12/pdfs/geoginquiry.pdf)
An introduction to an investigative method for engaging in geographic research: Asking geographic questions, acquiring geographic resources, explore geographic data, analyzing geographic information, and acting upon geographic knowledge.
- Geohistorical Inquiry: Connecting Place and Time and Critical Thinking (http://www.esri.com/Industries/k-12/education/~/media/Files/Pdfs/industries/k-12/pdfs/geohistorical.pdf)
A perspective on linkages between historical and geographic research, similarities in inquiry methods, the importance of local investigations, and a technique for engaging in geohistorical studies.
- GIS Best Practices - Informal Education (http://www.esri.com/library/bestpractices/education.pdf)
A set of stories about particularly effective and successful users of
GIS in educational settings, both formal and informal -- schools, 4-H,
- Intro to Making Maps (http://www.esri.com/Industries/k-12/education/~/media/Files/Pdfs/industries/k-12/pdfs/intrcart.pdf)
A primer on some of the basic issues of cartographic design.