SpatiaLABS are standalone activities designed to promote spatial reasoning and analysis skills. Covering a wide variety of subject matter useful in standard computer-lab sessions and longer term projects, SpatiaLABS illuminate relationships, patterns and complexities while answering provocative questions like "How might visibility have affected political boundaries in ancient civilizations?" or "Is there a connection between ethnicity and exposure to industrial toxins?" or "How worried should I be about the stagnant pond a quarter mile away?"
You'll find instructional materials in Microsoft Word and other common formats. Go ahead, change or add self-assessment questions, tweak the context for the analysis, rework the lab to use local data. Customize SpatiaLABS to suit your non-commercial needs.
Contributors: Interested in contributing your own activities to SpatiaLABS? Here are guidelines (view PDF) for submitting a proposal.
The SpatiaLABS collection includes 26 independent activities, a set of 15 business/marketing activities, and a set of 16 forestry activities.
To search the SpatiaLABS collection by topic, GIS skill level, or software used, visit www.teachgis.org/labs.
To browse the collection by topic, see the list below.
This set includes 5 introductory labs and a series of 10 labs designed to be used together.
Introduction to Spatial Business Decisions
Spatial Analysis in Business set
- Trade Area and Site Reporting: Mapping market patterns and screening potential sites
- Basic Business Environment Analysis: Using thematic maps to find opportunities and threats
- Advanced Business Environment Analysis: Identifying opportunities with advanced thematic mapping and data analysis
- Trade Area Analysis and Site Selection without Customer Data (Part 1): Recommending a first store using spatial analysis of potential sites
- Trade Area Analysis and Site Selection without Customer Data (Part 2): Defining and analyzing trade areas to select the best site
- Customer Profiling with Enterprise Sales Data: Identifying distinctive customer characteristics
- Site Selection with Enterprise Sales Data: Using customer data to select new sites.
- Creating Sales Territories: Sales territory design and balancing
- Customer Profiling: Understanding loyal customers to achieve market growth
- Customer Segmentation: Targeting potential customers for sales growth
This is a set of four modules with 16 labs designed to be used together.
- Forestry Inventory
- Forest Analysis Techniques
- Assessing Clearcutting Activities
- Calculating Forest Values
Download a zipped ISO file for Windows - 1.6 GB(very large) file. Write the ISO file to DVD or use a Windows ISO file reader before installing the entire SpatiaLABS collection (2013).